Ski Day #1


By Guest Blogger: David Brantz


On Friday, Samantha had her very first ski day at Eldora Mountain.  She is enrolled in a great program for 4-6 year olds called “Eldorables” that meets once a week for 5 weeks.  It is an introductory class that teaches kids the basics with a big focus on fun and comfort.  Needless to say, I was worried about how Sammy would do (especially on her first day), and my worries were magnified when we arrived on Friday morning to find subfreezing temps, wind, and blowing snow. 


The ski school staff helped us get Sammy into her ski boots and skis, and Sammy’s teacher, Daniel, tried to calm my fears by assuring me that it was only half as windy as it had been on the first day of the prior session.  Of course, in the end I had nothing to fear.  Daniel did a great job of making the class fun for the kids, and Sammy (as usual) was very diligent about following her teacher’s directions.  After two hours out in the wind and snow, Sammy could walk up the bunny hill in her ski boots, put on her skis by herself, ski downhill, and take her skis off by herself to start the hike back up to the top.  She was so brave and only got a little cold on her fingers by the end.  After the lesson, we warmed up with some hot chocolate in the lodge and Sammy told me all about the kids in her class.  

I couldn't have planned a better first ski day experience for my little girl.

No comments: