One Final Post on Breastfeeding

My friend and former boss Jennifer Wilson has given me some great advice and words of wisdom over the years. I consider her one of my "role model moms". During my pregnancy when I was stressed about breastfeeding I told her some of the horror stories I had heard and she told me that people only talk about breastfeeding when they are having a difficult time and they forget to discuss it once things are going smoothly. She encouraged me to give it a try and told me what a wonderful experience she had breastfeeding her kids.

That is why I wanted to write one final blog post about breastfeeding and how happy I am that I stuck with it. I know it sounds all hippie Boulder but I love sharing feeding time with Samantha. It truly is a bonding experience. Along with all the benefits for Samantha like boosting intelligence and helping fight and protect against infections, allergies, respiratory problems and disease, it also makes me feel good. I've heard before that you have a release of oxytocin while you nurse and I believe it. Plus, it has definitely helped burn the calories after giving birth.

Don't worry, I won't continue past the year mark but I want to encourage the new moms I know to hang in there and stick with it, in my opinion it really is worth it. Thanks again Jennifer for all your insight and encouragement and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

3 comments:

Jstwilson said...

So glad you stuck with it! And don't worry - past a year is OK, just don't be breastfeeding in public, at least, when your kid is old enough to lift up your shirt and ask for it! That would be too Boulder. =)

Also really glad that I was able to offer some good advice along the way. Can't wait to see you and Samantha again soon!

Love,
Jen

drpasser said...

I breast fed until I was eleven.
Not really. Back then, mothers were told it was bad, can you believe that? So I didn't have any of it. Look how I turned out.
Love,
Kevin

GrandmaG said...

My precious granddaughter, I think you will always remember my comment
"Seeing a mother breastfeed is the most beautiful sight in the world"
You are right-it is a wonderful bonding experience. I'm so proud of you. You are a wonderful mother.
Have you ever put her in bed with you to breastfeed when it's so cold?