A Great Gig

The question I get most often these days is "How is everything working out with your job?" I have heard horror stories about returning to work, about employers with little flexibility and the perils of being a working mom. However, I am happy to say that my experience has been nothing but positive.

I will admit that, back here, I was feeling a little sorry for myself having to return to the working world. I enjoyed my maternity leave and the special time I had with Samantha.

I can't say enough about my wonderful mom who has been my saving grace but I also want to give credit to my employer. Return Path, the company I work for, prides itself on putting employees first. The incredible thing is that it isn't just "talk" but a foundation that the company stands on. My boss Leah was extremely considerate when we set my schedule of time working in the office and at my parents' house. This has allowed me to continue breastfeeding (and spend my lunch breaks with my mom and Samantha). My role was also modified to better fit my new schedule of working 80% with my Fridays off.

The important thing to note is that because of the understanding and kindness I have been shown, I have been re-energized in my role and am excited to work hard, make a difference and shine for the company. After four years with the company I am even more passionate about my work than the day I started. A core belief at Return Path is that happy employees make for happy clients which makes for happy investors. I am a living example of the very happy employee and based on the continued success of the company I think the theory works.

2 comments:

Angie said...

It's great to hear about such positive experiences! Not every company "gets it", but those that do are so smart. I met with one woman who said that in her 25 years of managing people, pregnant women and those with young children were their best employees because they bust their butts and don't ask for special favors, and are no bullshit about getting their work done and getting home to their families... it may go against conventional wisdom, but it's probably true. Sounds like you're in a great place - kudos!

GrandmaG said...

My dear sweet granddaughter, Your employer is so fortunate to have you. You are an asset to them. I remember when I was charge nurse. I had some nurses that were on top of everything and worked as a team. Then there were those that sat on their butts at the desk. :) I'm so happy that you are happy. I love you. Grandma