Influenza

Despite all of us getting the flu shot this year, Samantha has influenza. I myself have only had the flu once in my life and it was absolutely terrible. It is even more terrible to watch a sweet little baby suffer through it.

The worst of it was Thursday when Samantha had a fever of 103. She was completely lethargic and just moaned all night. We are now on Day #5 of her being sick and she is still very congested and has a nasty cough. Because she is so young, they don't prescribe anything for her. The only thing we can do is give her baby Tylenol and Motrin.

The doctor was concerned she also had pneumonia and ordered blood tests on Friday. The inexperienced "girls" at the blood test center were awful and pricked and prodded at Samantha trying to find a vein to get blood three times. I wanted to kill them! So to make matters worse, she has ugly looking bruises on her arms to go along with this infection.

I am hoping we are on the road to recovery, any idea how long the dreaded flu lasts?

2 comments:

April said...

Oh Carly, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm not sure how long it lasts, but we will be sending you positive thoughts that it is over! Poor little sweet baby, and poor mommy and daddy too.

GrandmaG said...

My dear sweet granddaughter, Oh, how I prayed for our sweet baby. I hate it so bad when a baby is sick. I want to take it for them. I am still upset because they stuck her so many times for blood. And I'm still upset that the doctor did not give her ANYTHING for her nasal drainage, cough & congestion. I know as a nurse that one does not give an antibiotic for a virus but you can treat the symptoms. Next time, you will listen to your grandmother, OK? Just kidding, you and Dave are great parents. And I remind myself of what my daddy(Samuel)said. "If you're going to pay the doctor, do as he says" I pray that Sammy is much better by now. Hugs & Blessings, Grandma