Late Talker

I've had a nagging concern about Samantha's speech development. She clearly understands what we say to her and can follow directions. Lately she has really taken to the sign language and I can tell me when she's hungry or thirsty and what she would like to eat with signs. But she hasn't been progressing with saying new words.

Yesterday at a Superbowl party we went to, there were about three other kids Samantha's age, all of them talking up a storm. I try not to be one of those "comparative" moms but the differences were impossible to ignore. Not only did these kids have many words but they were saying things clearly and even putting two or three words together.

I came home and called my mom to find out that she also had been growing worried about Samantha lately. I consulted my trusty "What to Expect the Toddler Years" book which said that at her age, with the amount of words she uses, she is now considered a late talker. For the most part everything the book said made me feel much better. Some kids simply wait to talk, it also said as children develop physically, sometime they are literally using their energy for things like kicking a ball or running rather than talking. Also, all the things they listed to encourage speech like reading books, singing, reading nursery rhymes, etc. are daily staples for us.

But, just to be sure, I'm going to call today to schedule an appointment to have a speech development analysis. Will keep you posted...

1 comment:

GrandmaG said...

Carly, I'm sorry but I had to chuckle a little-really-a speech therapist--my goodness-this modern day and age. I have found that some children that talk late will all of a sudden-just start talking and in sentences! She's just saving up--you'll be surprised. And the late talkers are usually the exceptionally smart children, which we know that Sammy is. Don't worry. I love you, Grandma