A Bit of Bragging

Matching outfits with Daisy

I feel that I keep missing or forgetting to tell stories of Samantha.  I’m the first to admit that 2 ½ to 3 was not my favorite stage.  She was testing the limits and learning how to express herself and her emotions.  Over the past 6 months, she has really come out of her shell.  Most people that see her now can’t believe how much more outgoing she is and what a charming personality she has.  Kids at preschool love her and all the other parents are always surprised to hear she was ever shy. 

Now, I know that every parent thinks their kids are brilliant, but since you are reading this blog, you get to hear how Sammy is.  She has an incredible memory and if you watch her while someone is reading to her or teaching her something, she pays such close attention that she literally mouths the words to herself, committing it to memory.  One of the gifts Grammy and Pops gave her for Hanukkah was the book Tiki Tiki Tembo.  This was one of Dave’s favorite books growing up and tells a detailed story of the custom in ancient China for parents to honor their first born with long, elaborate names. 

This is a children’s book, yes.  But, it is 44 pages with difficult words and a very long name.  After hearing the book once, she could recite his name: Tikki Tikki Tembo-no Sa Rembo-chari Bari Ruchi-pip Peri Pembo.  A month later, she truly can say every word along with me while reading the entire book.  Trust me, I couldn’t come close to reading the book word for word from memory and this is one of many books that she does this with.  I’m often amazed at what she soaks in and stores in that head of hers.

As happy I am to share how smart she is, I am most proud of Samantha’s kindness.  When asked what she wanted from Santa this year she chose a special shopping cart she had seen that had a seat for her doll Daisy because as she said “That could be a gift that both she and Daisy could share”.  She is incredibly thoughtful and encouraging, saying things to me like “Oh Mommy, don’t worry, try your best!” when she sees I am frustrated.  She is gentle with Carina and other children, hugging and nurturing them.  My description isn’t doing her justice but she doesn’t have a mean bone in her body.  You know when you see a mischievous look in a child’s eyes and you know they are up to something? I’ve never seen it in this kid and she definitely didn’t get that from me.  I give her Daddy all the credit for her kindhearted, thoughtful and compassionate nature.  She brings me such joy.  

3 comments:

Patty said...

(I must admit that I cry at Hallmark commercials), BUT NEVERTHELESS, reading your post today left me in tears! I love reading your blogs because they are so sincere and heartfelt, Carly. I can't wait to see you ALL in the near future in Omaha!

Love,
Aunt Patty

Sara Louise said...

I agree with Aunt Patty. I, too, cry at Hallmark commercials and I, too, have tears in my eyes after reading this. It's so wonderful that you, DB, Sammy, and Carina all have each other. Such love in one family!!

Great Ma said...

It is OK to brag, especially when Samantha is so smart. She's amazing! I remember when you were concerned that she wasn't talking.:) And great grandmothers can brag too. Samantha is GIFTED!
LOVE YOU! GRANDMA