Working Moms

I really loved this article on the findings of research done on satisfaction of working mothers.  Not because I want to begin a debate on whether every mother should or should not work but because I think it explained many of the reasons why working has been very beneficial to my mental and emotional happiness. Despite Grandma Carol being very disappointed that I work and that we are letting our mothers raise our children, it works for us! My favorite piece of the article says:
After decades of research on how working mothers affect their children, somebody’s finally gotten around to investigating how it affects the moms. What makes moms less likely to report depression and sleep disorders? Turns out for many, it’s having a job — a concept that certainly demands further research. The study also takes a big step toward validating the ongoing need for flexibility in the American workplace – and at home. Because what this gets at is the awesome power of balance.
What’s right for any family is what makes the members within it as happy and fulfilled as possible. And that’s not a one-size fits all proposition. But the idea that both work and parenting – especially in combination – can contribute to a woman’s mental and physical health is as good an excuse as any for a general moratorium on the whole ridiculous “mommy wars” meme. We don’t have to be in opposite camps, guilt-tripping each other and over-justifying our life choices. We’re complicated beings and the things that satisfy us are diverse. They’re our children and our careers, our earning power and our rocking version of “Itsy Bitsy Spider.” Nobody said it was easy. But maybe if you want to have it all, a good place to start is by doing it all.
Especially after starting my new position this year, I am extremely motivated and excited about work.  It has given me a new drive that I believe helps me be a better person and a better mom.  I am proud that I can have a successful career and teach my girls that too.  I feel so incredibly lucky because our girls are with our moms during the days while we both work.  And, I really feel like both of us working is good for our marriage because it truly is a partnership.  We both work, we both clean, we both help with the kids, we both get up at night and we both make money.  Here's to doing it all in 2012!

2 comments:

Great Ma said...

Carly, my dear,sweet,wonderful granddaughter! You express yourself so well. You should have a degree in journalism. I marvel at your brilliant mind! You should have some of this published. I'm serious. I so agree with what you have said. I am so proud of you! You are amazing! May God continue to bless you and your family. Loving you more each day, Grandma

Angie said...

Love to hear you say that - for years I've said that working makes me a better mom, and I feel it more than ever after a few months of not doing it! On the other hand, staying home has made it clear that I appreciate that, too - something I wasn't so sure about - and I'm super psyched to be working from home now, with the flexibility to spend more time with the kids than I did before. Win-win.

Happy 2012 to you all! Hope to catch up with you soon!!