The City by the Bay

I just returned from a three night trip to San Francisco for work.  I returned to a house with no power from the strong winds and a grouchy family.  I feel like anything over two nights away ends rough.  Almost always, on the night I return, Samantha has a hysterical meltdown over something small and it is clear she needs some extra love and attention from mom.  I do love my job and being away is liberating in many ways but there is always the guilt after I see how it affects the girls. 

I was in San Francisco for an industry conference that I attended many times with my previous job.  Since the last time I attended, my colleague at Return Path and friend, JD Falk, passed away from cancer.  JD was a funky, brilliant, quiet, kind and generous man.  He was also a leader within the organization that runs the conference, working to make the internet safe and to fight spam.  They had a very nice memorial service/party to honor JD but I was struck throughout my time at the conference at the intensity of his absence.  I kept thinking I saw him or wondering where he was and expecting to run into him.  There is a fitting quote from Oscar Wilde that I read that says It is an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be seen at San Francisco. It must be a delightful city, and possess all the attractions of the next world.Perhaps it was the opposite of JD’s absence but rather he was everywhere I turned and on my mind all week. 

On a brighter note, I was able to visit a number of babies that I had not yet met in the San Francisco area.  I visited our college friend John and his son Rowan (Carina’s future boyfriend).  I saw our dear friend Carina and her new baby Quinn and two year old daughter Bailey and I got to catch up with my fun and sassy friend Jess who I worked with ages ago and met her sweet baby Caleb.  If you know me, you know how much I love babies and it was fun to get in my fill on the trip.  

No comments: