When is the Next One Coming?

Everyone told me it would happen, right after you get married everyone is swarming around asking "When are you having a baby?" and then just as soon as you have your first, they get going asking "When are you having another baby?"

Give me a breather people, what exactly is the rush?

Dave has been quite adamant that he only wants one child. I know there are a lot of practical reasons for this like not having to deal with a hormonal wife post pregnancy, college tuition, family vacations and paying for those weddings (remember there are only girls in our family). We also lucked out with a pretty easy baby and Dave is convinced with another one our luck would surely run out.

I have been surprised at the very strong reactions to the idea of only having one child. Many seem downright offended. I was an only child for nearly 16 years, my little sister was born just when I really needed a distraction for my parents. Growing up, I sometimes wished I had a sibling, but I truly don't feel like I missed out.

At this point I am undecided. I read an article the other day that said there is actually no proof that adults with siblings are better adjusted or happier later in life. Actually it pointed out that only children are more likely to be successful, do well in business, and feel confident in their adult years than those with siblings. Really, the point of the article was that when kids are loved and supported by their parents they do just fine with or without siblings.

The more people harass me about it, the more I want to have just one (must be the selfish only child side of me). If we do end up having another, I want to wait awhile. I want to really enjoy and experience each phase Samantha goes through - I'm having fun being a family of 3 for now. Plus, it always made me nervous when friends and their siblings would fight. I'm not sure I would know what to do with two. And, there is that whole concept of favorites, I can't figure out how you truthfully don't have them. Seems to me that it is natural to relate, get along with or have more in common with one or the other.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you've always been my favorite ;)!! ilove you brother.......

April said...

This is such a dilemma for us too! Jacob and I were both only children (I have a half brother 12 years younger, but never lived with him), and we feel like we both didn't really miss out on anything. There are a lot of differing theories about birth order and being an only child among psychologists. I always thought I would have two...and sometimes I wonder if that is why we plan to have another one, or if I really want another one.

Here is a decent article I found that is based on several psychologist's theories, I thought you might be interested. http://www.personalityresearch.org/papers/eischens2.html

Good luck whatever you decide to do!
April

mbrantz said...

OMG! so i read your whole post, but i still don't get when you are going to have another!! but that is so totally awesome that you are!! Holy cow!! when you have another baby it will be totally diff than sam but also kinda the same which is what is so freakin sweet about it!!! now go make that baby. lol!!!

drpasser said...

You just need more kids. First of all, if there is a mess or something broken at home and you only have one, you know who did it. This is too easy. Second, more kids, more joy. Just ask my mother. Third- it may matter more to have a sibling who can support you when you are older, you are just not old yet. Finally, studies show that the it is most beneficial for the kids, esp. growing up, to be 18 months apart-get busy.