Dear Carina

I wanted to share this letter to Carina from her sweet father that he wrote for her baby book...

Dear Carina,

I was driving my car on Sunday, the day before you were born, when the Alpha Blondy song Masada came on my radio and I thought it would make a great topic for my letter to you.

I had a chance to visit Masada when I was younger. It is a place that has special meaning to me for many reasons. Over the years I have been able to recall my special associations with Masada to warm my heart, and I hope that you will have the same good fortune.

The first way Masada is special to me is that it reminds me of our heritage. It may be a story from a long, long time ago, but it is a story about a group of people that make up a piece of who you are, and it is important that you remember that. Every part of your heritage is important Carina. In fact, what is most important is that you always remember your collective heritage – all of your personal history. But, as your dad, it is my job to make sure that you always remember your Jewish background as part of that heritage.

The second way that Masada is special to me is its symbol of sacrifice. For me, a sacrifice is a difficult choice made out of love. At Masada, the people made the ultimate sacrifice based on their love for God and for their beliefs. As you grow and become your own person, I hope that you’ll be aware of the sacrifices and difficult choices that everyone, especially your mom and I, will make for you. Keep in mind that we make each of those sacrifices because we love you so very much, and carefully consider who and what you want to make your sacrifices for.

And, of course, the last way that Masada is special to me is as a reminder of music and joy. I was first introduced to Alpha Blondy and his song Masada when I was in college. The song was actually part of a mix cd that was on heavy rotation in my life at that time. It was a time when music and joy were plentiful, and the song will always remind me that celebration and happiness are just as important as heritage and sacrifice in making your life complete.

Carina, I am so excited to see what kind of person you will become in the years ahead. Whether it is through Masada or something else, I hope that you will keep the ideas of heritage, sacrifice, music and joy close to your heart throughout all of your life.

I love you,
DAD

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cried when I read this---beautifully written. GRAMMY