Sensitive Sammy

I mentioned awhile back that Samantha graduated from speech therapy.  Now it is hard to believe we were ever worried about her talking.  What I never really described was her transition into occupational therapy.  She began occupational therapy because of her sensory sensitivity. 

She has demonstrated this through things like her aversion to getting her hair wet, avoiding loud noises, hating to get her finger nails clipped and a number of other similar things that cause her to isolate herself and act very shy.  This time last year we began to meet with Kate who is wonderful and works with Samantha doing things that are outside her comfort zone like finger painting or interacting with other kids she doesn't know. The idea is that Samantha has difficulty filtering too much sensory information.  If there is too much stimuli it causes her to shut down and retreat. At a birthday party with kids running around and loud noises, you will find Samantha off in a room by herself.   Kate has taught me techniques to better prepare her of the unknown. 

I have to admit that I go back and forth feeling like this is very real for Samantha and feeling like Samantha just needs to suck it up and act like a normal kid.  I know that sounds horrible but after an hour trying to wash her hair, or sitting out of gymnastics class because she won't interact with a new teacher and kids or having to chase her around the house to be able to brush her hair, I'm wondering if it is me that is doing something seriously wrong. 

I also feel like we had made a lot of progress and then regressed once Carina arrived which Kate tells me is very normal.  In June Samantha is starting preschool two mornings a week and I'm feeling very anxious and excited to see how that goes.  I truly believe it is going to be very, very good for her but I also think she is going to have a hard time.  That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger right?  All of this has certainly been a good lesson for me in patience and love.  She is the sweetest child, always very caring and aware of what is going on around her.  I just don't want her sensitivities and shyness to cause her to avoid enjoying things and having fun. 

No comments: