It Only Took Two Weeks

You may remember I wrote a blog posting about breastfeeding here back in May. I received a lot of feedback, and many of you offered advice. Dave's sweet cousin Dana even sent me a very cool "Hooter Hider" to avoid being a typical Boulder mom.

I am writing now to admit that it only took two weeks for me to lose most of my modesty and do exactly what I was complaining about before having a baby. On Friday, our doctor's visit went long, we had to go down to the lab for a blood test and and the whole outing took much longer than expected. Samantha became fussy as we waited for her to get her foot pricked and I knew it was time to feed her.

Being a new mom, I was not prepared with my "Hooter Hider" or any real cover for that matter. But, what do I care right? I went into the corner of the waiting room and just started nursing right there. When we were called in for her blood work, there I was just walking right into the room while I nursed for everyone to see! I actually nursed her until the whole thing was over. Hey, these days, when you get her to latch correctly and the feeding is going well, there is no stopping her because you are embarrassed! Hopefully I did not scare any expectant mothers and I promise I will try to be more prepared as time goes by. Apparently most of those things you promise never to do as a mother get thrown out the window very quickly.

3 comments:

JMM said...

Give up on most past promises as you feel comfortable doing, but please, whatever you do, don't start talking about "blow outs" at the dinner table.

drpasser said...

Shame Shame Shame.
Everybody knows your name.

GrandmaG said...

Carly, I recall nursing Paula when she was a baby. The doorbell rang.
I opened the door to see a young man that was trying to sell something. But what he saw was one baby on the breast and one toddler (your mom) hanging onto my pants leg. Needless to say, he did not take time to offer his sales pitch.:) Memories----Kiss Sammy Lee for me----Love you, Grandma