Breast Feeding Anxiety

I had one of my first psycho pregnancy moments at around 8 weeks when I told my husband that I wanted to take a breast feeding class. His response was "Even animals breast feed Carly, it can't be hard. It is totally natural, why in the world would you need to take a class?". We don't need to get into the details but I can assure you it wasn't a fun rest of the evening for Dave.

I have heard more horror stories about breast feeding than labor. Aside from getting it to work, how long to feed, how to have the baby latch, being in pain, etc., I just don't know where I feel it is appropriate to feed your baby.

I have mentioned before how many females we have in my family. I don't think I noted that they are all very opinionated females. At one family event when I was a kid, a male relative made some comment about how if someone in the family was breastfeeding, they should go into one of the back bedrooms alone. Everyone has been talking about what a jerk he is for the last 20 years. I was raised to believe that women get to decide what happens with their babies and their bodies.

But...I do live in Boulder and people are always pushing the limit and making me uncomfortable. In my last yoga class, a woman brought her baby. The baby slept most of the time but woke up and was fussy in the last half of class. I was in my deep meditative state as we did some breathing exercises on the exercise ball when I opened my eyes slightly to see that the woman had taken her shirt off and was sitting on the ball bouncing and breast feeding. You must be kidding me right?! And, last week when Dave and I went to interview a pediatrician, there was a woman baring all - and I do mean all, in the lobby. The baby was clearly not interested in eating and she was trying to coax the baby into eating for all to see! When she was called in for the appointment, she gave the baby to her husband and even stood up and started walking into her appointment before covering herself up -- excuse me!

I need all women to help me out for the next few months. I'm not asking you to hide out in a back bedroom, but for the love of God, cover yourself up a little bit!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh carlita- you are hilarious. i agree- breastfeeding in public shouldn't be frowned upon, but women should be aware of some boundaries. Asking for a bit of modesty in public is certainly not too much to ask. You go girl. XO Annie

GrandmaG said...

My precious granddaughter, I recall
what your GG said about breastfeeding. She said to see a mother breastfeeding her baby was one of the most beautiful sights there is. But you can breast feed in a room full of people and not expose yourself. I recall Gina breast feeding in church. No one would have noticed except one could hear Margrethe smacking. :) You will do just fine, it just comes naturally. At first, you will find that all you're doing is feeding--but time passes all too quickly. Thinking of you today while I sew on Sami Lee's blanket. Hugs, Grandma

drpasser said...

It's just skin-Kevin