My Mom = My Best Friend

I hope you all had a very special Mother's Day. It was a gorgeous day in Boulder and we had both of our families and some close family friends over for a BBQ. It is exciting to think that next year I will officially be a mom too. I did magically get a few cards from Samantha with some help from Dave and Aunt Patty so I know she is looking forward to it too.

I figure it is the right time of year to write a little something about my mom Ava. When I was a bratty teenager my mom used to say to me "You might not know it yet, but I am your best friend." Over the years, I have realized how true that is. I'm lucky to live close to her and we have lunch once a week and I talk to her at least once a day...about everything.

My mom never holds back what she is thinking so for about 4 years I have been hearing about how she needs a grandchild. She definitely wins the prize for most excited about the baby. While I am happy about having a baby, I also get scared, nervous and panicked - my mom is only ecstatic, all the time. And, as with other experiences in my life, she has made me feel supported, loved, and optimistic about my pregnancy at every step. Somehow she has also avoided making me mad (which is very impressive) and has listened to me complain about everyone who has upset me during my moody phases. My mom "gets me" like nobody else.

After the baby is born, my mom will watch Samantha when I go back to work so I know they will have a special relationship too. And, even if it takes Samantha a while to realize it, I hope that eventually I'll be her best friend too.

2 comments:

GrandmaG said...

My dear sweet granddaughter, You have really touched my heart and brought a tear to my eye. You are
so precious to your grandmother. Loving you more each day,Hugs & kisses, Grandma Gentry

Patty said...

Thanks for the "mention" in your blog! We are all so excited for Samantha's arrival. In fact, Jaime, Jordan, Kelly, Riley, Steve and I just made our reservations for early August!

Love to you and Dave!