Your Dog and Your Baby

Javier is our very adorable, very spoiled pug. We got Javier right after we got married and for almost four years I have been telling people that getting Javier was the best thing I ever did (after getting married of course!). I try to keep my obsession with Javier under wraps but I adore him. The only problem is that Javi knows this. Since he was a puppy, he follows me around the house, he sleeps cuddled right up to me and he sits right next to me during all meals because he knows I am a sucker for him and will share.

This weekend I attend a two hour class at the hospital, "Your Dog and Your Baby". I thought this would be the perfect class to teach me how to make the transition of having a baby in the house for Javier. The class wasn't so great, it was geared towards bigger, more aggressive dogs and how to manage them with kids. The one useful tip I got was that if there are behaviors we want to change, we should start now, before the baby arrives. That way, when I stop sharing my dinner with the pug, he won't associate this "new" set-up with the "new" baby. So, I'm trying not to share food with Javi which is painful for me and him. Hopefully I can stick to it.

I have also promised Dave that I will be much better about disciplining our child than I have been with our dog.

3 comments:

Angie said...

Before I read this post, a quick glance led the class you reference to be interpreted by me as "Yoga Dog, Yoga Baby"... Which would actually be really funny, and might be something you could get Boulderites to pay for.

Anonymous said...

Hey in oklahoma we have your dog or your kid. We have people that pick there dog! lol I love to read you blogs. Hope you get everything you want at your shower love you

Jstwilson said...

Javi won't have feeding withdrawal or baby envy for long. As soon as Sam starts on solids, she will be his best friend!