Feedback is a Gift?

Anita, who is the VP of Sales and Marketing at Return Path where I work, has been telling me for ages that feedback is a gift. We have a very thorough 360 review process every year at Return Path and while I believe it has helped me develop both personally and professionally, I absolutely hate it. I promise myself every year (and fail to keep the promise) that I will not cry when I read through my review.

It is natural to focus on the comments that are negative or areas where I need to improve while skipping right past the complimentary comments. And, I don't know why I am surprised by this each year, but the things that come up that I need to work on are things that I am working on in my personal life as well. Examples of this are: over committing, not being assertive enough, being too sensitive, trying to please everyone and avoiding conflict. My CEO once told me that you aren't a different person when you walk into the office, and boy is that true for me.

This year was the first of 5 that I did just fine going through the review process. Primarily, I think that motherhood has made me much more humble, realistic and calm. I've said it a million times, but the main lesson I've had after having Samantha is not to be so hard on everyone, and that means on myself too. So, of course I have got some things that I can improve upon, everyone does. I'm not perfect and can even begin to see the gift in receiving feedback. After all, I'm a work in progress, at home and in the office.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

these are wise thoughts carlita- nice work. i think you are doing a stellar job being a well-rounded human, mother, wife, friend, daughter and sister. xoxo annie

Anonymous said...

I think you are wonderful and of course I love Miss Samantha more every day. Hugs and kisses! Grandma Ava

GrandmaG said...

My dear sweet granddaughter, You could have fooled me, I thought you were perfect--:) In your grandmother's eyes you are, anyway. I love you. Grandma
P.S. As a nurse, one becomes good at feedback in conversations, good listening, paraphrasing, etc. I became really good at talking to my patients-I could talk(teach) to both the high and the low.