Big Girl Week


We had been using our big trip to Nebraska as an excuse to put off a few milestones we needed to address.  Primarily the switch to the big girl bed and potty training.  So in typical fashion, we jumped in with both feet as soon as we got home and got started.

We picked out Samantha's new bedroom furniture about a month ago and had it scheduled to be delivered the day after we got home from our trip.  Once it was all set up we played on it and made a big fuss.  Samantha exclaimed that her new big girl bed was "so awesome" and "really cute".

I am admittedly not very good with change.  I tend to over think things and I did my best to play it cool as we set everything up. We had our normal bedtime routine reading books, saying prayers and talking about our day.  Then, I tried to leave the room as usual but when I closed the door, I heard Samantha begin to cry.  Then I heard her say as she fought back tears and sounded more frantic, "Mommy, Mommy - I think I still need my baby bed".   I'll remind you that I am 7 months pregnant and may be a bit more emotional than usual. I burst into tears and began sobbing.  Every time I think about it, I start to cry again! Certainly there is a huge part of me that is not ready for my baby girl to be such a big girl either.  Once I got myself under control, I went in and sat with her until she fell asleep and she slept soundly until morning.

These changes have been harder on me than expected although I'm adjusting and we will all be fine.  I've found that you can read all the instructional parenting books you want but you can never quite prepare yourself for how you will feel when milestones happen.  On the bright side, the first few days of potty training have been hugely successful!  In high school, one of our teachers always told us - Change is inevitable, growth is optional.  I think that was even Dave's senior quote in the yearbook.  I think about it often and as in all things am looking for all my lessons so that we can grow as a family through all of our changes.

No comments: