Samantha Lee - What's in a Name?

Remember, Dave was under the false assumption that we would have a son. Dave's original name idea for a son was "Sickie Sickie Pow Pow". This would ensure our son would be a pro snowboarder obsessed with how much snow was in the mountains. I was pushing for something more practical like "John Elway Brantz". Finally, we found something we could agree on and when we talked about our imaginary child that we would have someday, we decided a few years back that "his" name would be Sam. My great grandpa was Sam and although I only met him once when I was a baby, I was very close to my great grandma (GG) and I knew she would appreciate it.

When I was a kid I wished so badly that my name was Samantha. I'll admit that this was primarily because I loved the show Who's the Boss and thought that Alyssa Milano, who played Sam on the show, was fabulous. But, my favorite baby doll was named Samantha and I can remember wanting to change my name.

I was worried the name Samantha was too popular but the more we thought about it, Sam just seemed right no matter if it was a boy or a girl. We also wanted to pay proper respect to Dave's side of the family and Lee is Dave's mother's maiden name. I have heard such wonderful and fun stories about Dave's grandpa Si Lee, I thought this would be a great way to carry on his name in Samantha's middle name.

Lee just happens to be the middle name of my favorite Aunt Gina too. Aunt Gina was 15 when I was born and in my mind, has always been at the forefront of all things hip and cool. Because of Aunt Gina, I love old Alfred Hitchcock movies, Patsy Cline, the Beatles and complicated novels. I will also always think Jon Bon Jovi is sexy. I plan to teach Sammy these very important lessons.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also think Jon Bon Jovi is sexy. That's one of the reasons I like you. I understand that you have already picked Samantha Lee and it really is a lovely name, but I think SaraJosh should still be out there as a possibility.

xoxo, Sara Louise

mbrantz said...

i totally agree about bon jovi ... i think brian looks just like him. only a little hotter. i love you.

molly

Judy said...

What about Judy Ptudy? Or possibly Judy the Cutie?

ANONYMOUS

Unknown said...

My middle name is Lee too. CRAZY.