The Songs We Sing

Shortly after I got pregnant I found myself downloading some country songs onto my iPod. All of my childhood favorites that my parents would listen to like George Strait, Randy Travis and Patsy Cline. Then, I was downloading the Carpenters and singing "Top of the World" to the baby every day on my way to work.

Now, I didn't think much of it until one Saturday morning I found Dave brushing up on his "Stewball was a Racehorse" lyrics and singing Peter, Paul and Mary songs around the house all day. When Dave and Molly were little, their dad had a special song for each of them. Stewball was what Jim would sing to Dave.

I guess that in preparing for parenthood we are doing what our parents did for us. I have also realized that with the Carpenters and Peter, Paul and Mary we are definitely children from the 70's. Don't worry, I also sing Stevie Wonder, Justin Timberlake, Shakira, Usher and Madonna to the baby so she will have well rounded musical taste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny that you wrote this post, because i was going to email you and make sure you are playing songs like bootylicious and others by easy e for samantha. she will def. have diverse musical taste. much love!

Anonymous said...

this is annie....btw