Speech Therapy

This was Samantha's first week of speech therapy.  I was very curious to see what the therapist would be like, the activities she would do with Samantha and if Samantha would warm up to her at all.  I am happy to report that it was wonderful.  Janine, the therapist, has been working with kids forever and was so gentle and warm with Samantha.  Samantha was playing with her after the first ten minutes which is rare these days.  We all really liked her (me, my mom and Samantha). 

The first session was mainly spent getting to know each other and discussing our concerns.  We talked about some of the activities we would be doing each week. The therapist just kept raving about how smart and introspective Samantha was which of course we liked.  Samantha did some of the smart things she always does.  For example, Janine said we would read books like "Goodnight Moon" that Samantha was familiar with.  Samantha perked up, ran into her bedroom and returned with that book. 

Janine told us that she wasn't convinced Samantha had a delay.  Honestly, I thought she was going to end by saying she wouldn't be coming back.  Fortunately, she isn't all that concerned and she's coming next week! 

1 comment:

GrandmaG said...

I always like to make a new friend. And it looks like you & Sammy have a new friend in Janine. You have another Jeanine in your life except the names are spelled differently. I love your blog. I love it that Janine was impressed by Sammy's intelligence. I'm getting homesick to see Sammy, her parents and grandparents. Love you much, Grandma