A Family Affair

I have a confession to make. The day I found out I was pregnant, it was a Friday and I had just returned from a work trip in NYC and was at home. When I saw the positive test, Dave wasn't the first person I called. It was my Mom. Then, I tried to call Dave and tell him but he told me he was too busy at work to talk...so he wasn't the even the second person I told, that was my Dad.

The point is, I am very close to my family, and to Dave's family too. When I had my bachelorette party in South Beach 4 years ago, my mom and my mother in law were two of the 15 females that were in attendance. I know what you are thinking: boundaries right? This is probably true but for the most part, I think I do a pretty good job at setting some boundaries and I still like to have my family and Dave's family very involved in our lives.

For my 12 week ultrasound I invited Judy, my mother in law, to the appointment with me and Dave. It was really special to have her there and she had never seen an ultrasound before. For my 20 week ultrasound Dave thought that my sister should come with us. I had been to the ultrasound to see her before she was born and Dave thought it would be cool for her to come to see one as well. Well, the invitation to her turned into an invitation to my whole family and before I knew it, Dave, my Mom, Dad and sister were meeting me for the appointment. It was hilarious - I was a little late and I literally had a welcoming section when I arrived to the hospital. The five of us crowded into the room and although I'm sure we drove the technician crazy, I loved having everyone there.

Which brings me to my final point, and the latest topic I have been getting head shakes and dissenting opinions about. The headcount invited into the delivery room with us is holding strong at 4. Me, Dave, my Mom and Judy. People think this is crazy but I think it will be pretty amazing to have them all with me for the birth. After all, it should be good karma for me. This way Samantha will involve me too someday right?

1 comment:

GrandmaG said...

First, I want to wish my favorite granddaughter Happy 30th Birthday!
Then in response to telling people you were pregnant. I guessed you were pregnant and figured your due date for July 18th. When you finally called, you said "Grandma, you were wrong". My heart sank. Then you said, my due date is the
17th! You are so sweet to involve all your family and let us share your happiness when your bundle from heaven arrives. God Bless you today on your birthday!