Playing Favorites

As most of you know, I was an only child until I was 15 years old.  As a kid, when my friends wrestled or fought with their siblings I would get uncomfortable, nervously laugh or just vacate the scene.  Because my sister and I are this far apart in age, it makes sense to me that I am the obvious oldest favorite and Madeline is the favorite of the next generation.  Our upbringing and experiences are literally so different that it is too difficult to compare.  I have never really experienced sibling rivalry, I have never had to share and I still get nervous when people argue with their siblings.

So, this two kid thing is going to be something brand new for me.  My mom put it well the other day when she said that she goes back and forth feeling sad that Samantha will never have anything that is only her's anymore and upset that Carina only gets hand me downs that belonged to Samantha.

My wrestling with this feeling has clearly manifested itself in spending money.  One day I am feeling bad that Carina's room has nothing unique for her.  That resulted in my latest purchase from Zulily:

Then the following week I felt horrible that Samantha doesn't have much left in her room anymore because it has all been moved to Carina's room.  That resulted in yet another purchase from Etsy which still needs to be framed:


We have packages showing up every day, my husband is concerned.  These two girls have got it made before Carina is even born, Mom is a big sucker!

3 comments:

Great Ma said...

Carly, I can relate. No one believes me when I tell them that I have never fussed with my brother or sister. So the way my girls fought was hard for me to take. Let me encourage you. Presley & Lola play so well together. They actually carry on conversations. They have strong southern accents-will say ya'll. They are so cute. Don't worry, Samantha & Carina will adore each other. Love you, Grandma

April said...

I love the art for the girls' room!

I know exactly what you mean. I was also an only child until I was 12, and then still I never lived with my brother, so I have always felt like an only child. Before Lorelei was born I had so many fears about them fighting, or only getting hand-me-downs, and even that I might not have enough love for her because it was all directed at Audrey. Now that she is here though, it all seems to be working out. She isn't old enough to fight with yet, but Audrey adores her, she has a few new outfits (but it is really fun seeing Audrey's things on her too) and I can't imagine loving her any more.

stephschneider said...

omg I love this post, you are so cute Carly.
I am sure Molly has some good tips for Sam on how to be a good bis sis to Carina. :)