The Bumps

About six or seven months ago we noticed a few little bumps on Samantha's chest that looked like tiny pimples.  When I took her to the doctor back in March when she was so sick with RSV, the doctor told me that these bumps were caused by a virus called molluscum.  He told me that I could carefully squeeze these but to be very careful because they can easily spread if I or Samantha touched an infected spot and then touched anywhere else on her body.  


He also told me that with time they would go away and they are fairly common for kids under the age of 10 with weaker immune system.  Obviously holding down a three year old to squeeze these bumps was not a real option, we tried it a few times but it was overall very disturbing for everyone involved.  Unfortunately after a few months these bumps had gotten out of control.  There were more than 20 of them all over her chest.  When I talked to the doctor again, he prescribed an ointment to put on every other night.  


This whole ordeal keeps me up at night.  The ointment that we put on the bumps literally burns off the bump and instead of a tiny little pimple that we started with, now poor Samantha has scabs all over her chest.  In high school, I knew a few stupid people who would burn themselves with a cigarette...every time I look at my sweet girl, that is what it looks like to me, like cigarette burns all over her chest.  


As my mom says, it make you much more compassionate for people with true body defects.  It is difficult for me to look at them.  Luckily Samantha is not very self conscious but I definitely am for her.  She is beginning to be more self aware and the other night she woke up with a nightmare and when I went in her bedroom, she told me she was just "very sad about her bumps".  


The most horrible part is just when I think we have most of them under control, there are more that pop up.  We are done with the ointment and I don't want to use it anymore.  We have an appointment with the dermatologist in a few weeks to hopefully come up with a new solution or remedy.  

1 comment:

Great Ma said...

These bumps on Samantha just breaks my heart, esp. when she said she "was sad about her bumps" I just wanted to sob. But like all things, they will soon be gone. I bet the dermatologist will have a better solution. Wish I could wiggle my nose and they'd be gone. Maybe Great ma could send her a present--would that help her to feel better? Hugs & Kisses to all.